Monday, August 16, 2010

california revisited

i left the denver train station aboard the california zephyr.

on our way to san francisco, volunteer park rangers boarded the train and shared stories and information about the sights.

this is the gross reservoir, which provides drinking water to the denver metro area.


 
the california zephyr follows the colorado river for 268 miles. 
 

one 12-mile stretch is known as "moon river" because of the manner in which white water rafters often salute the train.


we passed through red canyon

which is lined with "slide fences" hooked to sensors that alert crews of falling rocks obstructing the tracks.


i spent most of the trip in the observation car
where i met bob and carolyn, a retired north carolina couple who acted as my surrogate grandparents for the trip (they're en route to visit their daughter in san francisco)

and conchi, who is from madrid and tolerated my rusty spanish.



i arrived in san francisco this evening and made my way to my friend julia's beautiful apartment.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Red Canyon = Unsure Frightened Look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,
    I'm a new fan of your blog (Lynn told me about it) and it's a great way of sharing your wonderful trip with all interested. I noticed how much you enjoyed Austin...I've been wanting to go there because of the live music scene, supposedly the best in the country. I see you'll be going through Montana. I took Amtrak through Glacier National Park a long time ago -you will really enjoy the scenery.
    Happy Traveling,
    Uncle Hugh

    ReplyDelete