Thursday, August 5, 2010

austin

 

liz and i packed a lot of adventure into two austin days.






yesterday, we had brunch at bouldin creek coffee house


and took a driving tour of u.t.
 

then we went for a swim at barton springs

 

and got snow cones from a snow cone trailer.


 

we drank avocado margaritas with our friends laura and josh at curras


and took a bat-watching cruise on lake austin.  we saw the bridge under which 1.5 million bats currently live, and we watched thousands of bats emerge from under the bridge after sunset (please let me know if you have any bat-related questions; i just might be able to answer them after learning more than i ever cared to know about bats from our informative tour guide/boat captain).


afterward, we went to the broken spoke and i learned how to texas two step.




today, we had brunch at kerbey lane, spent a relaxing afternoon at the flightpath coffee house,

and got brightly-colored manicures.



we went to an artisan fair and liz got some fashionable cacti designed by plaid pigeon planters for her new apartment.




then we had some stellar fish tacos at gueros.

 


i have fallen completely in love with austin over the last few days and will be sad to leave tomorrow.  thanks to liz for being such an amazing tour guide!

5 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh........makes me want to go to Austin! Liz- Do you do mom tours? It was all so well planned and delightful to see the pictures. I want to learn the Texas two step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bat-related question: if I or someone I love gets bitten by one, would we become vampires? (I hope so!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things:
    1. Amazing fish tacos are my goal in life. Jealous.
    2. Reading your bat story gave me a traumatic flash-back to the time when I was with friends in a park in Minneapolis watching PRIDE fireworks, when all of a sudden thousands of bats flew up from the pond and over (almost on top of) our heads. Now I will have to go back to therapy. Thanks, Rachel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh--so fun! and how delicious was the avocado margarita because it looks pretty dang delicious.. you've reminded me how much i want to visit this lovely and lively city!

    ReplyDelete